Sunday, November 17, 2013




Write your way to an Atkinson Traveler

Over the last 36 years I have been very fortunate to be able to make my living doing what I love in such a specialized and admittedly old fashion occupation as custom building and restoring wooden canoes/boats.  I have been able to restore almost every type of old classic boat, build reproductions of some of the best boats ever built and I have also been able to build and sell my own designs.
My shop has always been no more than a one, two and in some very busy years, a three person shop.   I have been extremely lucky to have the help and assistance of Peter who has been my shop partner for over 20 years; Pam who does all the mail order shipping and book keeping and Andrea my supportive wife! 
In the near future I will be taking the order for the one thousandth boat to be restored or built in my shop.   To celebrate this milestone I want to build a special canoe that means a lot to me, the 17.5’ Atkinson Traveler.  It is the first canoe I designed; named after the village I live in and designed for the wilderness paddling that I enjoy.  It has been a very successful design which I am very proud of. 
While I want to put all my years of experience into this canoe I also want it to be a canoe that is used as the design was intended.  The Atkinson Traveler needs to be in the water, a few scratches on it, maybe a cracked rib or two from hard use, mud on the paint and a smile on every face in the boat.  This is a boat that I want to build to my own specifications and I want it to be used as the canoe was designed for.
Because my customers and the WCHA (Wooden Canoe Heritage Association)  have been such a important part of my professional  success, I want to celebrate this one thousandth boat by offering this commemorative Atkinson Traveler completely free of charge to either;
 1) A past or present member of the WCHA.
 2) Any one of my past canoe/boat customers.
 Cost of any shipping not included!
 There is only one stipulation: The owner of the boat must promise the boat will be used  as it was intended as per the original design; and the harder the use the better!

To be eligible for this boat please send me your name, your; contact info and a brief description of how you intend to use the boat.  Please, no more than 300 words and be sure to include your WCHA membership number or NWCC customer number.  Peter, Pam, Andrea and I will choose the top 25 essays and then have a drawing for the winner. There is no cost for the boat or to enter your essay.  The boat will be on display at the 2014 WCHA Assembly where the drawing for the winner will take place. You need not be present to win but of course that would be nice. Sharpen up your pencils and plan on attending the 2014 Assembly!
 Thank you for your years of support.
Rollin



1 comment:

JTG said...

I wonder where you 1,000th canoe is now and what it's been up to.